Website COCA STL
COCA (Center of Creative Arts) is a leading, multidisciplinary community arts organization committed to enriching lives and building community through the arts. As an innovative model for arts education and nationally accredited for artistic and educational excellence, COCA serves as a regional hub for learning in and through the arts for all ages from all backgrounds and skill levels. The organization was founded with the intention of being a place of artistic learning that would transcend the boundaries of geography, race, and class. COCA celebrates diversity in perspectives, backgrounds, artistic disciplines, and experiences, and believes everyone should have access to experience the arts. It has grown to become one of the most diverse cultural institutions in St. Louis, a position bolstered by a commitment to access and equity.
The Artistic Director of Hip-Hop, reporting directly to the Co-Artistic Directors of Dance, works to provide artistic direction and support for COCA’s Hip Hop educational dance programs and COCA’s Hip Hop Crew. COCA’s Hip-Hop crew is comprised of professional students, seeking an experience to prepare them for work in the commercial dance industry. The Hip-Hop Crew performs works by several leading artists, and receives mentorship from artistic leadership coming from artists inside and outside COCA.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Attend, rehearse and supervise students and volunteers at all company and production related Hip-Hop events, including but not limited to:
- regular weekly rehearsals, tech week rehearsals, company performances, kick off and cast party.
- Specific responsibilities for these events include: Ensure that each student has been picked up after rehearsals and performances.
- Ensure that all spaces used during rehearsals and performances have been returned to their original condition.
- Ensure that Production details are handled according to COCA policy, including written communication, load-in, strike, costuming needs and details, etc.
- Secure and schedule qualified Hip-Hop substitute teachers during tech and performance weeks.
- Collaborate with the Co-Artistic Directors of Dance to research and select guest Hip-Hop artists.
- Re-mount company repertoire as necessary for the season, including main stage performances, development events, and community events as required by the organization.
- Work with the Dance & Pre-Professional Division Manager to schedule rehearsal spaces for the company, determine and plan the work that will be done at each rehearsal.
- Work with the Rehearsal Directors and Dance & Pre-Professional Division Manager to communicate information with the company, via website, production and by phone calls, as needed.
- Coordinate and attend all company auditions, including arranging for judges to be present, and participation in the adjudication processes.
- Attend Artistic and Departmental meetings, as requested.
- Create new and original choreography for the Hip-Hop program.
Teaching Essential Functions:
- Provide high quality arts instruction for assigned classes and programs.
- Lead classes and programs by example and model professionalism to students through conduct, attitude, attendance and punctuality.
- Develop age and contextually appropriate lesson plans, maintain attendance sheets, support program evaluation, and attend all required meetings and training sessions.
- Fulfill number of hours/classes required in specific teaching agreement.
- Prepare materials, coordinate and obtain equipment, materials and supplies for classes and programs.
- Advise students on appropriate class placement through discussion with other faculty, students and parents as well as placement letters.
- Understand and adhere to policies and procedures explained in Employee Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/ or Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or significant professional training required.
- Extensive experience in Hip-Hop technique.
- Firm educational and practical background in the arts.
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and teaching skills.
- Ability to problem-solve, be flexible, imaginative and innovative.
- Ability to take initiative in the development of ideas and programs.
- Possess and demonstrate an excellent work ethic, positive attitude and sense of humor.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Ability to physically demonstrate and model the physical stamina and skills necessary for performing arts activities.
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand instruction.
- Ability to stand and circulate for extended periods.
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel and reach in all directions.
- This position will be required to work nights & weekends.
- COCA Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus.
- COCA highly recommends all employees, students, patrons and guests to remained masked at all times. Masks are not required.
COCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at COCA are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. COCA is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity, and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment. COCA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.